Saturday, December 26, 2009

Will frying in vegetable oil give me crunchier potatos than olive oil?

I'm not deep frying, just pan frying sliced potatos. I'd like to use olive oil because it's healthier, but my husband likes them really crisp and crunchy. Will vegetable oil give me better results than olive oil?Will frying in vegetable oil give me crunchier potatos than olive oil?
Olive has a much lower smoke point then vegetable oil. I prefer corn oil because it has a better flavor then other oils. The absolute best is to use lard, good old animal fat. Heat it about 375 degrees and it will make some great crispy potato's. Not something you want to do every night.Will frying in vegetable oil give me crunchier potatos than olive oil?
I prefer to fry potatoes in canola oil, I prefer Wesson brand to others. Nice light taste and they get crispy if you don't over fill the pan/skillet.
if you cook too hot with olive oil it will burn, use peanut oil for deep frying.
I pan fry with olive oil, too. You have to be careful though because it burns at a lower temperature than veggie oil. You just have to watch it and make sure it's not burning. Then the middle of the potato slices will be mushy and the outside will be charred. You can also try I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Mediterannean Spread. It is made with olive oil, and I have heard it's not pad for frying.
Veg oil will work better - olive oil doesn't get hot enough.
i'm not sure, but i only use vegetable or canola oil when i want crispy potatoes. i use olive oil when i want to saute potatoes and i want them to get lightly browned.
I am a former chef and while there is not cooking difference, a taste difference, a olive oil like Gallo not Extra Virgin is fine, a lighter one.





It is expensive to use, a blend of canola and olive is fine, it is not the best for cooking as it saturated more not in bad fat but good fat mono-unsaturated.

No comments:

Post a Comment