Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Roughly how much is too much olive oil per day?

I coat my frying pan with it when I cook and I like to think it's doing me good. A greek friend of mine uses it the way I use water - to boil his vegetables and he's as thin as a rake! The mediterraneans seem to ladle it on their food. Can eating a lot of oil be good?Roughly how much is too much olive oil per day?
I think its good for you, but watch out for extra calories. If you heat olive oil too hot it can be bad for you, but thats only if it burns into the pan.





I think there is no real limit, as it is good for the old artery walls, but i wouldnt overdo it. But a good drizzle over veggies or salad, or in your pasta is only going to be a good thing.Roughly how much is too much olive oil per day?
When it comes to dietary oil, it's the bad stuff that you should be concerned with. Like: Partially Hydrogenated Oil, Palm Oil, Shortening (aka, margarine and vegetable fat). The good oils will do you no harm. Keep in mind that anything good in excess becomes bad. Eskimos sometimes live off of Whale Blubber aka. whale fat with no jeopardy to their health.
It's mostly a matter of taste. Me, I won't allow olive oil in my kitchen for love nor money - can't stand the taste of olives.


One might find consuming a lot of cooking oil of any kind a bit of a problem - more so if one has had one's gall bladder removed. Too much cooking oil and I gots the runs for the next three days! So I often use a cooking spray like Pam, and when I do cook with oil, I use the minimum amount that will get the job done.
If you cook with olive oil, it will not have as much nutritional value as eating it raw. Many of the omega 3's and good fats will be cooked out in the process. A lot of raw olive oil, as well as coconut oil, are quite good for your heart, brain, and other organs. Everything in moderation.
Olive oil is still fat. It still contributes 9 cal/gm to the diet. Since it is unsaturated or poly unsaturated it is better for you than trans oil according to recent research. There are lots of things going on with thin people besides diet (exercise, other calories, family history, eating habits snacks) that may explain body weight. But the bottom line is if you consume more calories than you expend the excess calories turn to energy storage (fat). So no eating a lot of oil is not good. For what it's worth most nutritionists now say about 30% of your calories should come from fat, but believe me there is much controversy around that number. I'm sure other answers will contridict me but you can look it up for yourself in a reputable nutrition book


PhD Food Chemistry and Nutrition
Olive oil is a very healthy oil. Low in sat fats. It could hurt you if you drowned in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment