Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Is it okay to use extra virgin olive oil to bake brownies in?

I'm baking brownies for myself using Pillsbury Fudge Supreme brownie mix, and it calls for 1/3 cup of oil. But, I have no idea what type of oil, and all I have is extra virgin olive oil. Is that fine to use? Please help!Is it okay to use extra virgin olive oil to bake brownies in?
It should be fine. The chocolate flavors should cover up the olive flavors. One time my roommate baked a cake and used olive oil instead of vegetable oil. It still tasted ok, but damn, she used up half the bottle!





But really, if you can, you should go to your nearest store and pick up a bottle of vegetable oil. It will only cost about $2, instead of wasting some of a $10 bottle of olive oil.Is it okay to use extra virgin olive oil to bake brownies in?
I say no because olive oil has a taste. Canola or corn oils basically do not have a distinct taste and it is this lack of flavor that inspires their inclusion in many recipes. The flavor of the oil is not a flavor I want to stand out in my brownie experience.
No, no, tastes nasty.
NO!


That will seriously mess up the flavor!





You'd be better to use that much better, melted.
Extra virgin olive oil is best for salads or in foods where you would like the flavor to come through. I wouldn't use it for brownies. Light olive oil, canola, safflower, vegetable oil are all better for baking. Applesauce would be better than the EVOO. Believe it or not, you can also use a can of black beans, pureed very well and combine that with your mix. You don't add the eggs, just the beans. The brownies come out very fudgy and you can't tell that there are beans in them. Plus, it makes healthier brownies because you are adding fiber and cutting out the fat. I have made them myself and everyone who tried them couldn't tell the difference.
I think melted butter would taste better, do you have that? It would be worth a try with the olive oil, I guess.
i always use apple sauce. it taste great and has zero fat
The olive oil will not flavor the brownies because the chocolate flavor will overwhelm it. If you are making other kinds of more subtle flavor like vanilla you will be able to taste the olive oil in it.
The flavor of EVOO is too pronounced. I would't use it here, only plain vegetable oil is recommened.
Do it if you must but I prefer vegetable oil.
im not sure if you sshould use that, you should use vegetable oil. ive never used olive oil, so i woudlnt know about that.
extra virgin oil go and make anything it very good for you.
Seeing as it is only 1/3 cup I dont think it would make too much difference but then again it might. Hard to say as I never heard of using olive oil in baking before. Usually you would use vegetable oil. How about melting some margarine or butter and using that instead? Or if you have shortening on hand you can melt that and use it
I wouldn't use it, however a good alternative to using oil when baking cakes, brownies, etc. is to use applesauce. It's less fattening and you can't taste it. Use the same amount as those little apple sauce cups. Delicious! I haven't used oil in the longest time!
Vegetable oil is what you would typically use, but Virgin Olive Oil will work. Expect them to be more moist and tastier. (just don't over cook them!)
Yes! It's one of the best oils you can use. It's even better if it's cold pressed. Other vegetables oils are usually super heated and are not nearly as good for you as olive oil. I use it for everything. Sometimes it'll change the taste of your dish slightly, but in something like brownies, the chocolate is going to overpower any taste from the olive oil.





Bonus tip: heat up some chunky peanut butter until it's a bit runny and pour it over the top of your batter. Then take a knife and swirl it through the batter a bit to make PB brownies. Yum!
If it's all you have, but it's gonna taste of it.....I would use veg oil, but....
I wouldn't ... If you have applesauce use that instead .
Olive oil wouldn't taste good. Use vegetable, corn or safflower oil instead.
I would not use olive oil for brownies, you will taste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment