Saturday, December 26, 2009

Can I use Olive Oil to cook just as I use Canola Oil?

If I were to deepfry corn tortillas . . . can I use Olive Oil in the same manner? Or does it change or burn at certain temps?Can I use Olive Oil to cook just as I use Canola Oil?
You can use Olive oil but keep in mind Olive oil is expensive. If you want to use it I recommend virgin olive oil, it's purified more and will leave less of a oily taste. They do burn at slightly different temperatures but nothing noticiable.Can I use Olive Oil to cook just as I use Canola Oil?
yes
sure but olive oil is very expensive! :)
Yea! My grandma does that all the time. She fries everything in olive oil. AND I don't notice a taste difference.
It really depends on the olive oil. Some have a higher smoke point than others. The more pure it is; the higher the smoke point (safer it is to use). If you really want to use it; I would recommend cutting it 50/50 with some Canola or vegetable oil to make sure you stay in a safe range. Gives you the flavor while making sure it can take the prolonged heat of deep frying.
yeah you can, I have done the exact same thing and it was really good, just make sure it is regular olive oil because I think extra virgin olive oil changes the taste or burns diferently!


ohh and isn't OO halthier?!!
You could but the oil is so expensive. Also its flavors would be dissapated. Use peanut oil instead. Use Extra virgen olive oil for Italian cooking and dipping, and subing the extra light olive oil like bread or cakes in a recipe
Yea you can use it the same, it just might have a slight taste difference but nothing very noticeable.
Yes.
pretty much, canola oil can handle higher temps than olive oil.
the taste is noticeable olive oil is allot heavier and will give the food a diff rent flavor but it might taste good

No comments:

Post a Comment