Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Many recipes call for vegetable oil. Can olive oil be used as a suitable substitute?

I would like to cut down the bad fats in my family's diets. Many of the receipes we use to cook our meals call for vegetable oil (especially things like cakes, cookies, and baked goods). Can I use olive oil as a substitute or will it affect the way the food tastes and the way it cooks?Many recipes call for vegetable oil. Can olive oil be used as a suitable substitute?
Vegetable oil, as long as it is unsaturated, isn't particularly bad for you. It is the partially-hydrogenated vegetable shortening that you have to worry about. Having said that, most olive oils have rather distinctive tastes, and while they can certainly be substituted for vegetable oil in cooking, I wouldn't use it for most baked goods, in which the flavor may not be very appealing. You could use something like canola oil or Enova instead.Many recipes call for vegetable oil. Can olive oil be used as a suitable substitute?
I sub olive oil for just about any other kind of oil, except in baking where it would add a strange flavor then I use canola oil which is also better for you!
I would not use olive oil in sweets as it can throw off the taste a bit...try canola...it is healthier than vegetable oil! Good luck!
When I have used olive oil in the past as a substitute, I didn't like how it changed the taste of the food with the exception of stirfry. I usually use a canola oil or blend for baking.
i would try canola. it doesn't affect the taste nearly as much as olive oil. just a thought.
Olive oil is the only oil I use anymore, and for the same reasons you mention. I keep two on hand. Extra virgin, and extra light tasting. Here are my bases for substituting: If I am using it stove-top at a high heat setting, I use extra light tasting olive oil. The reason is that it can tolerate higher heat without burning. If I am baking, again, I will usually use the extra light tasting, but for flavor reasons. (I've not been able to taste the difference at all, and ALL my baking is sweets.) In all other situations, I use standard extra virgin olive oil.
It will definitely affect the way it tastes. It will work in virtually any savory dish (entrees/things other than dessert). Any dessert items you'll want to avoid the olive oil with, or expect a different flavor anyway.





I use olive oil in virtually all savory dishes. Great stuff.
Yes olive oil san be substituted. It is much healthier although it does cost more. Sometimes to extend it I use 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 veg oil. When using in a recipe you can cut the olive oil down by 1/4 of what is needed. Actually food tends to taste more moist when using the olive oil so that is another benefit!
i have in a pinch used olive oil in baking recipes.....personally i dont think it changes the taste and it actually comes out very moist....i would try to keep on hand canola oil...i hear this is one of the better oils.
yes and it is much better for you.
I agree with the others. For savory dishes, olive oil is fine. You might notice the ';olive oil'; taste ever so slightly, but it's not bad, you'll VERy quiclkly get used to it. It is very good for you.





For sweets and deserts, it might mess slightly with the flavor. I wouldn't highly recommend it. Vegetable oil is still pretty healthy. Do some research and find out what other oils are heart healthy. There are alot of margarines on the market today made with healthy fats and without the bad fats. They usually work well for baking.
The best cooking oil is peanut oil. It is more stable at higher temperatures than other oils and will not smoke as easily. It will not add another taste as olive oil does.
You can't really use olive oil as a substitute for vegetable oil, it will make the foods taste icky, but if you really want to you could try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment