Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Can I use olive oil that is slightly frozen?

I just noticed that a bottle of olive oil I'd been storing in my cold room was starting to freeze so I removed it but was wondering if it's still safe to use. It has little frozen pellet like drops in it. Should I chuck it?Can I use olive oil that is slightly frozen?
No, it'll be ok. Those little frozen pellets are probably ice crystals from water which was in the oil.


Thaw out the oil. It may be a little cloudy or have a thickened layer; if so, cap it tightly and shake it to re-homogenize it.


Keep it stored in the fridge and use it within a week or so. The flavor shouldn't be affected by the freezing.Can I use olive oil that is slightly frozen?
Yes, it is fine. Some people keep it in the refrigerator in between uses.
its safe to use
Keeping it cold is what keeps it longer. Your olive oil is probably fine. If you have extra oil that your not going to use soon, you should store it in the fridge or in a cool, dry place.
leave it at room temp, it should be fine
its fine, dont worry. there arent many things that will actually go bad from the cold. the only side effect might be that it looses some nutrients or whatever, but its only olive oil, and while its better than other oils, its not like its loaded with vitamins or anything. its perfectly safe
  • sports
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment