Saturday, December 26, 2009

How do you choose a good extra virgin olive oil?

When the recipes calls for a good evoo how do you know which brand to buy without being able to taste it first? Go for the most expensive? Have noticed quite a difference in pricing on evoo. Is spanish better than italian?How do you choose a good extra virgin olive oil?
When I switched over to using EVOO , I asked around, and watched some cooking shows to see what they used. I also checked some cooking shows web sites to see if they suggested any. I ended up choosing Bertolli EVOO. I liked the taste and the price was better than most. Some of the cheaper brands tasted just that 'cheap'.


Hope this helps.How do you choose a good extra virgin olive oil?
For extra virgin, make sure no one else touched it before you. No Im just playing IDK:0
Good question! There are so many brands out there- it is hard to know what is really good and what your tastes will like. Consumer Reports did a rating on evoo's awhile back and I did not care for the taste of their #2 pick at all. You could look for ones that have won awards, or ask the Yahoo Answers community which ones are their faves. I like the Tuscan style the best. Costco carries a toscano evoo that I like and even their Kirkland Signature is not bad, although I use it for cooking mainly. Price is probably a good indicator, but that doesn't always mean that the best ones cost the most!
I tend to not worry about anything other than the fact that it is ';extra virgin'; which has to do with the process rather than it's country of origin. I buy my evoo at Trader Joes at bargain basement price since I use a lot of it. Olive oil is an undertone in most recipes, so as long as it's of reasonably high quality with no nasty aftertaste, most people can't make the distinction between a good or great oil. And taste is subjective anyway. If you really want to explore the differences in flavor, have a dipping party. Buy 3 or 4 different olive oils, season them equally, and have a bread dipping party with your friends and compare notes. Kind of like a wine tasting.
I choose organic
See the magic of marketing.


you splashing it on salad Or cooking


YOU just might be able to taste the oil if the vinegar is not too strong.


Cooking your just to cover it up with the pepper


If your dipping your bread then ??? (that is a new fad here)


Your choice.


Spend those dollars
The uglier the olive, the more chance she is a virgin. Mamma mia!
I always buy one of the pricier ones, but not the MOST expensive one.





=]
  • web proxy server
  • 1 comment: