Thursday, January 7, 2010

How can foods like fish and olive oil be good for your heart if they are so high in cholesterol?

It just doesn't make sense to me- my doctor told me that fish and olive oil (especially EVOO) are very good for the heart. However, when I began reading labels of these foods, they are very high in cholesterol. Can someone explain this to me? Thank you! :)How can foods like fish and olive oil be good for your heart if they are so high in cholesterol?
olive oil does not have cholesterol, it's a plant based food. only animal based foods have cholesterol.





ANYWAYS, they're good in moderation. cholesterol is a necessary nutrientHow can foods like fish and olive oil be good for your heart if they are so high in cholesterol?
Cholesterol is cholesterol, there is no good or bad. It doesn't dissolve in blood so it is carried around in HDL, or LDL.


If you don't eat enough cholesterol, your liver makes it.


In other words, it doesn't make any difference how much cholesterol you eat, since your liver will compensate.


This is why it has never been shown that eating cholesterol raises your blood cholesterol level.
Shellfish have a lot of cholesteral and should be eaten in moderation. Regualr fish have good cholesteral. Ditto for olive oil. I have genetically bad cholesteral and my dad died of a heart attack at age 43. I have the same thing he did so I really have to watch it. Eat less red meat and try to stick with lean cuts. Exercise keeps my arteries clean and if I don't do it, my bad numbers go into the 300's.
are you sure they are high in cholesterol?





Olive oil has Omege 3 in it...which is well known to reduce cholesterol. Same with Fish - very high in unsaturated fats, and full of great Omega 3 vitamins.
there are two types of cholesterol, LDL and HDL. LDL is the ';bad'; cholesterol so I'm assuming fish and olive oil have HDL
There are bad and good cholesterols. Fish and EVOO have the good kind. And fish have heart healthy Omega-3's.
its because there is good cholesterol and bad...i guess just these foods have the good kind i just don't know how it works haha
there are two types of cholesterol....good and bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment